The de Tornyay Center for Healthy Aging is dedicated to supporting nursing students interested in healthy aging research. We are proud to offer scholarships to support undergraduate and graduate students completing healthy aging research and travel scholarships for graduate students to present their work at conferences. We also recognize completed aging projects and research by graduate students with our Pathways to Healthy Aging awards. You can find our awards here.
The Healthy Aging Research Scholarship
The de Tornyay Center for Healthy Aging offers undergraduate and graduate scholarships for students to pursue research or investigative projects related to healthy aging or gerontology. Scholarship proposals can include primary or secondary data analysis. Funds are unrestricted and are intended to support students while doing their research. Faculty mentors offer individual guidance and serve as valuable resources for beginning researchers.
Deadline: 2023 applications are now closed. Applications will open again at the start of the 2024-2025 school year.
- Undergraduate (BSN or ABSN) awards: $5,000
- Master’s awards: $5,000
- Graduate (DNP or PhD) awards: $10,000
To be eligible for a Healthy Aging Scholarship, students must:
- Be enrolled at UW School of Nursing or one of the Nursing Programs at UW Bothell or UW Tacoma
- Have a faculty mentor to guide the research or project
- Focus of application is not required to be student’s thesis or capstone
Selection is based on the following criteria:
- Project is relevant to gerontology, aging
- Significance of the proposed project
- Feasibility for project completion by end of the current academic year
- Professional commitment to gerontology
- Quality of the application, including answering application questions and proofreading
In addition, preference is given for:
- Demonstrated need for financial aid
- Those who have not received a previous Healthy Aging Scholarship
- Plan to graduate in the next 12 months
Only applications submitted by the deadline will be considered.
If you have any questions or would like help in identifying or selecting a faculty mentor, please contact Heather Wicklein Sanchez, manager of the de Tornyay Center, at 206.616.4276 or by email email@example.com.
The de Tornyay Center for Healthy Aging supports undergraduate and graduate students and post-doctoral fellows who are presenting a project or research with a focus on aging at regional, national, and international conferences with travel scholarships up to $800. Applications must be submitted at least two months prior to the first day of the conference.