The de Tornyay Center for Healthy Aging provides is dedicated to supporting nursing students interested in healthy aging research. We are proud to offer scholarships to support undergraduate and graduate students completing healthy aging research and travel scholarships for graduate students to present their work at conferences. We also recognize completed aging projects and research by graduate students with our Pathways to Healthy Aging awards. You can find our awards here.
The Healthy Aging Research Scholarship
The de Tornyay Center for Healthy Aging offers undergraduate and graduate scholarships for students to pursue research or investigative projects related to healthy aging or gerontology. Funds are unrestricted and are intended to support students while doing their research. Faculty mentors offer individual guidance and serve as valuable resources for beginning researchers.
Deadline: Monday, October 21, 2019 at 5 pm
- Undergraduate (BSN or ABSN) awards: $3,000
- Apply here
- Graduate (DNP or PhD) awards: $10,000
- Apply here
To be eligible for a Healthy Aging Scholarship, students must:
- Be enrolled at UW School of Nursing or one of the Nursing Programs at UW Bothell or UW Tacoma
- Have a faculty mentor to guide the research or project
- Focus of application is not required to be student’s thesis or capstone
Selection is based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to gerontology and aging
- Significance of the proposed project
- Feasibility for project completion by end of the current academic year
- Professional commitment to gerontology
- Quality of the application, including answering application questions and proofread
In addition, preference is given for:
- Demonstrated need for financial aid
- Those who have not received a previous Healthy Aging Scholarship
- Plan to graduate in the next 12 months
Only applications submitted by the deadline will be considered.
If you have any questions or would like help in identifying or selecting a faculty mentor, please contact Heather Wicklein Sanchez, manager of the de Tornyay Center, at 206.616.4276 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conference Travel Scholarships
The de Tornyay Center supports graduate students presenting their aging research at regional, national and international conferences with travel scholarships up to $600. Travel scholarship applications are due at least two months before scheduled conference/travel.